Subject: Request for Emergency Support for Independent Russian-Language Media in the Baltics
From: "Info Novayagazeta" <[email-masked]>
To: "KUM min" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2025 15:20:12 +0200

Dear Ministry of Culture,

I hope this email finds you well.

My name is Yana Liashkovich, and I am Editor-in-Chief of Novaya Gazeta. 
Baltia, an independent socio-political media outlet serving Russian-speaking 
residents of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. Since 2015, our mission has 
been to provide high-quality, fact-based journalism to local 
Russian-speaking communities, counteract propaganda, and promote democratic 
values in the Baltic region.

Unfortunately, due to the recent suspension of all U.S. foreign aid, we are 
facing an existential crisis. Our funding has been primarily reliant on 
grants linked to USAID programs, and the sudden halt of this support has 
left us struggling to continue our work. As a result, our operations have 
been reduced to 50% capacity, and without alternative funding, we fear that 
we may have to cease operations after a decade of service to the public.

We are reaching out to inquire whether your organization has any programs to 
support independent Russian-language media in the Baltic states, including 
emergency assistance initiatives. Any form of support would be immensely 
valuable in helping us continue our mission during this critical time.

We would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this further at your 
convenience. Please let us know if there is a suitable time for a meeting or 
if you require any additional information.

For your reference, please find attached documents providing key information 
about Novaya Gazeta. Baltia in both Russian and English.

Best regards,

Yana Liashkovich
Editor-in-Chief, Novaya Gazeta. Baltia
Vilnius, Lithuania
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
+37060278150